Here is a super awesome fantastic 100% vegan parcel of yumminess!
Disclaimer: This is an ad-lib recipe. I am a terrible cook. I hate cooking. Regardless, these are so super yum that I am willing to make that sacrifice.
This is a recipe my sister first got from here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/tofuinfilopastry_80572/
I’ve adapted it to my tastes and inadvertently made it vegan-friendly. Yummy yummy yummy.
- 1 pack of Cauldron Firm Tofu or similar (~400g)
- 1 pack of Jus-Rol Filo pastry – if using frozen, let it defrost at room temperature according to instructions
- Salt, to taste
- Fresh or dried thyme
- Melted Vitalite, or your oil of choice. Olive works okay, too.
- Two tea towels
- Open up your box of tofu and drain the water. You’re meant to rinse it as well, but I forgot 😦 Place on tea towels and press out as much water as you can.
- While you leave the tofu to drain, put some sweetcorn into a bowl. Umm, this much.
Make sure you use a big bowl. No, seriously. I’ve used frozen corn, and cos I have a sweet tooth I’ve added a bit of sugar to simulate the supersweet variety 😀 Anyway, add a bit of water and cook this in the microwave for 2-3 minutes, or according to the cooking instructions on the pack. If you want to cook it on the hob, that’s fine, too. It just takes longer and I hate cooking.
- In the meantime, remove the tofu from the tea towels, but keep the towels near, because we will need them later. Chop the tofu into little chunks.
- By this time, the sweetcorn should be cooked. Drain off the water, and season with salt and thyme.
- Once mixed, add the chopped tofu and mix thoroughly. This is why I said to use a big bowl.
- Now we need the damp towels again. Lay one out, then carefully unwrap the filo sheets on to this towel. Unfortunately at this point, I discovered the filo had gone mouldy overnight in the fridge 😦 Good thing I had a reserve.
Slice them into six equal rectangles, as shown.
They should all be the same size (the top part of the sheet is covered by the towel). Use the other damp towel to cover. Filo dries out really quickly and the damp towels help them keep their moisture.
- With your melted Vitalite or oil, lightly brush your work surface. Then place two rectangles of pastry as shown:
- Then place another sheet of filo over each of these, and brush again.
- Now the messy bit. On the right hand side of each, place some of your tofu mixture. Be generous, or you’ll end up with a lot of leftover mixture.
- Now start folding into triangles.
Before the very last fold, you can probably slip some more of the tofu mixture into the parcel. Keep going until you’ve used all the filo. Any leftover tofu mixture can be eaten raw. Yummy!
- Now you can wrap these in foil and freeze them – they last in the freezer for months and can cook straight from frozen. Otherwise, place on a greased baking tray and bake at about gas mark 7 (220°C, 425°F) for 15-20 minutes. The pastry should have turned golden and crispy. Allow to cool for a while before eating. They taste nice with chips 😀
Super sekrit hint: these taste 10x yummier if you cook them, leave them in the fridge overnight, then reheat them in the microwave. If you can stop yourself from eating them before then! Yum yum yum yum yum! Tofu heaven!